MY CAST IRON SKILLET

I have been trying to live a more healthy life. Almost a year ago came across a YouTube channel named fit-tuber. It was run by an Indian guy who talked about fitness and health from the Indian perspective. He takes cues from ancient Indian wisdom like Ayurveda and yoga and shows ways to apply them to modern life in his videos. I recently came across a video in this channel that discuses best types of cookware. That is how I decided to buy my first cast iron skillet.

Before seasoning
I ordered a cast iron skillet by rock tawa on amazon. It arrived today. I opened up the huge box and took it out. It was very heavy, I had trouble holding it with one hand. I looked very rough on the inside i wondered if it was supposed to be like that. So I did some internet research and found out that the pan was not preseasoned so I will have to season it.

SEASONING MY CAST IRON SKILLET ON INDUCTION STOVE TOP

I had no idea how to season it. So as usual I asked google. All the answers were confusing, so once i got the basic idea i decided to do it my way.
After seasoning
The basic thing i understood about seasoning is that it is the thin layers of polymerized oil that is bonded to the caste iron pan by the process of heating oil in pan.

What I did was:

1. I cleaned the pan well with soap and water and dried with a cloth.

2. I applied oil all over it in a very thin layer. I used mustard oil since that was what I had.

3. I put it on the induction top and set it on law heat. After some time it began to smoke as it is supposed to. The smoke indicates formation of those oil layers.

4. I let it smoke for a while and when ever i saw the oil has dried on some spots i dabbed on some oil using a piece of cloth.

5. After some time i noticed that the color of the center of the pan is slowly getting darker. I waited for the color to spread but it did not. So I had to move the pan around a little for the sides to receive enough heat all the while reapplying oil on dry spot.

6. Overall it took me around an hour to finish the process.

I was very hungry after I was done with the seasoning I inaugurated the pan by making a quick pan pizza using a leftover roti. I used some onion and tomato to make a sauce and topped it with some chopped carrot, tomato, curry leaves, cabbage and extra cheese.

The pizza turned out very yummy.  The seasoning did its job very well. I had no trouble removing the pizza from the pan. I am so happy everything turned out so well.

I hoping the tawa will get even better with time. I hope it stays with me life long and I make all kind of dishes on it and some day I will pass it on to one of my children.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

"Just So You Know"

MANJADI

Love